When my parent’s celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary, I wanted to create a fun little bobble to wear to their anniversary party. The technique of using glass domes over photos is an easy, quick, and affordable way to bring a high-end look to making jewelry. This project is for beginners of all ages.
1: Select your image
2. Paint on thin coat of glue
3. Press glass to artwork
4. Trim around your glass dome
5. Paint glue on back of image. Press into bezel.
6. Attach jumprings and thread onto chain
7. Assemble necklace
Instructions to Make An Easy Glass Dome Necklace
What you will need:
- 1 Framed Pendant Small Circle Single (fpscs-gb)
- 1 Patera Glass 22mm Circle (pg22c-b)
- 3 Large Jump Rings (ljrg-b)
- 1 Small Heart Charm (shgo-b)
- 18” Small Fine Cable Chain (sfcc-gb)
- 2 Small Jump Rings (jrg-b)
- 1 Twig and Connector Set (ttb-gp)
- Nunn Design Glue (glue)
- Paint Brush
- Water (for rinsing paint brush)
- Paper Towel (for drying rinsed paint brush)
- 2 pairs of needle nose pliers
To Assemble the Pendant:
Select your image. I like to use my glass dome as a guide by sliding it over my artwork.
On the backside of the glass, paint a thin even coat of Nunn Design Glue. Nunn Design Glue is a silicon-based glue versus a water-based glue. This helps prevent the image from absorbing moisture and potentially running the inks.
Press your glass dome to your artwork by squeezing the two between your thumb and forefinger. Slide the two back and forth pressing any excess glue or air out that can be trapped underneath.
Trim your image with a pair of scissors using the edge of the glass dome as your guide.
Paint a thin coat of glue onto the back of the image (now attached to the glass) and press into your bezel.
To Assemble the Necklace:
Using the two pairs of needle nose pliers, open the Large Jump Ring and thread it through the connector hole on the Framed Pendant Small Circle. Repeat for the Small Heart Charm. Thread the Small Textured Cable Chain through the jump rings attaching the pendant and heart charm onto the chain.
On each end of the Small Textured Cable Chain, attach a Small Gold Jump Ring and the Twig Connector Bar. On the other end of the Small Textured Cable Chain, attach a Small Gold Jump Ring and the Round Connector Ring.
If a necklace isn’t your thing, you can always attach your pendants to a charm bracelet instead.
If you enjoyed reading this post, please subscribe to our blog. Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe and a place to do so!