Learn How to Knot Gems and Pearls – A Resource Guide
Knotting has been something I have been wanting to master. Seems like a basic skill, but I don’t have it down…yet. In the past, I became overwhelmed when it came time to figure out what type of thread and what type of needles I needed to purchase in order to move forward.
I sat down this week and tried to navigate knotting gems and pearls. Here is what my continuing education discovered.
Resources: Knotting Gems & Pearls
- I love this Pearl Knotting Like a Pro downloadable pdf I found on Beadshop.com. Check out the “guesstimation” cheat sheet for thread sizes that is included in the pdf! That kind of stuff really gets me excited because that junk takes time to figure out!!!
- Beadshop.com also had this downloadable pdf on how to knot gems: Gem Knotting 1.5.
- I found this basic stringing YouTube Video to be helpful: Pearl Knotting Tutorial
- Kate at Beadshop.com covers how to tie knotting strings together to create a 10’ continuous strand in this Facebook Live video. She also explained how she tests everything that she knots prior to knotting, so there wasn’t any easy formula I could easily follow in regards to thread I need to buy (dang!!).
- You can learn just about everything there is to need to know about the variety of beading threads on the Beadshop.com Stitchery section, but if you are at all like me, I was overwhelmed!
Items Needed for Knotting:
I have identified that I need the following items to knot with (links go to beadshop.com):
- Collapsible Eye Needles
- Fine C-Lon Thread
- Some sites recommend Natural Silk Thread, so I’ll go ahead and order some in a No. 4 and No. 6
- Beads (that I have)
- I’m not sure if I need beeswax, but I might get it anyway.
- French Wire
- Thread Clippers (Really? Can’t I just use scissors?)
- End Tips
- GS Hypo-Cement (this I have)
Okay, you skilled knotting pros! What else do I need to purchase to get started learning basic knotting? Let me know in the comments, on social media or email firstname.lastname@example.org! Thanks!
If you enjoyed reading this post,
please subscribe to our blog.
Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe
and a place to do so!
You may also like to read:
Welcome to the Nunn Design® Notebook — an online creative space devoted to all that inspires. Here, you’ll discover everything from our latest project videos and Make This how-to guides, to beautiful creations by fellow artisans. Stay current with new product announcements, contests, give-aways, and special discounts. Or learn business tips, tricks, and tools of the trade. Whatever your passion, we hope to help kindle your inspiration, nurture your muse, and unleash your creativity.
All rights reserved © Nunn Design 2019
Would you like to subscribe to our blog? Read 10 reasons why!
Search the Blog
- Adorned Life (17)
- Artisan Spotlight (155)
- Be Inspired (410)
- Buy & Try (101)
- Flash Sales (63)
- Getting to know Becky (82)
- Giveaways (109)
- In The Press (60)
- Inside Nunn Design (315)
- Kits (37)
- ND Product Info (126)
- Tutorials (286)
Buy & Try Products
It is always exciting to see new techniques and projects, but sometimes it takes forever to gather the supplies for that afternoon of creating. The Buy & Try Program allows you to be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring. “Buy & Try” offers may contain items that we don’t typically have in stock! Purchase the “Buy & Try” products either a la-carte, or in a combo pack.
Click on the images below to visit the tutorials and shop the supplies.