This tutorial came out of our most recent Nunn Design Art Day. Team Member Christee was the one who was curious about applying fabric and resin on the Nunn Design Bar Earrings. I think they came out amazingly!
Here is what you will learn in this tutorial:
- How to apply fabric using Nunn Design Glue onto the Bar Earrings
- How to seal the fabric prior to applying resin
- How to mix Nunn Design Resin
Nunn Design Supplies Needed:
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Large and Small
- Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
- Nunn Design Glue
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Stir Sticks
- Mixing Cups
- Plastic Bags
- Paint Brush
Prepare Bezels & Work Area:
1. The Nunn Design Findings are oxidized to provide the aged look to the precious metal plating. The oxidization, when it comes into contact with the resin, could change the color of the resin. To avoid this, clean the findings thoroughly prior to application of the resin. Get the tip of a Q-Tip wet with rubbing alcohol and clean away any of the blackened oxidization.
2. Using a pair of scissors, cut small pieces of fabric slightly larger than the Earring Post Bar Earrings.
3. With a paint brush, coat fully the top surface of an Earring Post Bar Earring with Nunn Design Glue. Apply the cut small piece of fabric from Step 2 onto the wet glue. Start at one end of the bar earring and use your fingertips to squeeze out any excess glue by pressing firmly onto the fabric. Continue down the length of the earring until the fabric surface is smooth.
4. Apply another coat of Nunn Design Glue onto the top surface of the fabric. Let the glue fully dry for 2 hours.
5. With a pair of sharp scissors, go along the edges of the Earring Post Bar Earring and trim away the excess fabric from the sides.
6. Create a flat surface where the posts of the earrings can poke through and be level. I used a piece of foam packaging to create this surface.
Mixing Nunn Design Resin
7. Read the resin instructions for safety concerns regarding the Nunn Design Resin.
When I work with resin, I always:
- Place a large plastic bag over my work surface and tape it down.
- I make sure I have ventilation in my workroom.
- I wear gloves.
- I wear glasses (readers because I can’t see anymore. Plus it protects my eyes!).
- I have a pile of wet wipes handy.
- This is a great blog post that covers 20 Habits for Successfully Using Nunn Design 2-Part Epoxy Resin. Even if you are a seasoned resin mixer, this might be worth a read.
8. Place one cup (included in the Nunn Design Resin Kit) onto your table.
For curing purposes, it is very important that the resin be an exact 1 to 1 ratio of Part A and Part B. I suggest getting your eyes level with the resin so you can see the lines on the measuring cup.
Pour Part A of your resin kit up to the 1 TBS mark on your measuring cup.
Pour Part B of your resin kit into the same cup until it is filled to the 2 TBS mark. It is important to pour Part A first and then Part B. It is some chemical thing about the part A being heavier or something.
9. Set your timer for 2 minutes. Using the stir stick from your kit (a popsicle stick or coffee stir stick will work great too), slowly and carefully stir your resin scraping the sides as you stir. Stir for a minimum of 2 minutes. If your resin is still cloudy continue to mix until clear. After mixing is complete and your resin is clear, scrape both sides of your stir stick on the edge of your resin filled cup.
If the resin is slightly cloudy, continue to stir the resin until it is no long cloudy or marbled. The resin should be clear.
Applying Nunn Design Resin:
10. Drizzle resin onto the Earring Post Bar Large and Small slowly with a toothpick.
Since they are so small and thin in size, it is really easy to overflow, so go slowly.
Curing & Clean Up:
11. You will need to “babysit” your curing resin to watch for bubbles in first few hours.
TIP: Use your hot breath to “huff” on bubbles forming in the resin. Your hot breath will make the bubbles expand and pop.
12. Let the resin cure for 12 hours. When the resin is 12 hours into the curing process it is still not fully cured. This soft cure state makes it really easy to remove any excess resin or spills. If the resin has overflown off the Bar Earring, use a pair of scissors to cut a clean edge along the side of the bar earring.
13. If you had any over pour of resin stuck to the backside of the Bar Earring, use a pair of needle nose pliers or your fingernail to remove the resin.
14. Let pieces cure for the full curing cycle of up to 72 hours.
15. Add on butterfly clutches.
Be inspired with other fabric and resin jewelry samples! To see more fabric and resin jewelry, visit our Nunn Design Jewelry Inspiration Gallery!
(ND Gallery: Pacamara)
(ND Gallery: Santos)
(ND Gallery: Caturra)
(ND Gallery: Arusha)
(ND Gallery: Maragogype)
For all other findings, please visit our Where to Buy Page for a listing of online stores that sell Nunn Design Findings retail.
Shop the Supplies Wholesale:
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Large (epbl)
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Small (epbs)
- Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
- Nunn Design Glue
If you enjoyed reading this post,
please subscribe to our blog.
Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe
and a place to do so!
If you enjoyed reading this post, please subscribe to our blog. Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe and a place to do so!