Bitsy Earrings with Crystal Clay, Gold Flakes and Nunn Design Resin – Tutorial! Buy & Try!
I personally love this technique because of its production speed. This “look” of a black base with a clear resin over it is typically created with a double resin pour process. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how you can do it much quicker using black Crystal Clay in the base, embed gold flakes and apply a clear resin over the top.
Nunn Design offers Buy & Try Programs to encourage jewelry makers – both wholesale and retail – to buy the products needed to try something new. This week we are featuring the different techniques that you can create with the Bitsy Earring Posts.
- Shop Wholesale: Buy & Try Bitsy Earring Posts with Mica Flakes & Resin!
Here is how I did this technique.
Nunn Design Earring Posts
Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
Gold Flakes or Glitter Roxs
Business Cards or glossy card stock
Needle Nose Pliers
The Nunn Design Bezels are oxidized to provide the antique look to the precious metal plating. The oxidization, when it comes into contact with resin could change the color of the resin. To avoid this, clean the bezel thoroughly prior to applying the resin. Get the tip of a Q-Tip wet with rubbing alcohol and clean away any of the blackened oxidization, especially from the inside of the bezel.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the handling and mixing of the black Crystal Clay. Crystal Clay is epoxy clay that air-dries. It sets in 2 hours and continues to cure 14-16 hours. There is no baking required, no shrinkage and in this tutorial, I don’t even let it dry before applying the resin!
While wearing gloves, pinch off two equal sized balls of Part A and Part B and blend together fully until the clay is no longer marbled and uniform in color. You have approximately 90-120 minutes of working time before the clay starts to harden, so take your time. Once the clay is thoroughly mixed, remove your gloves to make it easier to work with the clay. For this tutorial, I mixed a small blueberry sized ball of both Part A and B of clay.
For each earring pinch off a very small ball of clay and roll it into a smooth ball in the palm of your hand. Press the ball into your bezel with your fingers to create an even flat smooth surface in the base of the earring.
Use a toothpick or a pair of tweezers to pick up gold flakes and place them into the uncured wet Crystal Clay. Once you have the gold mica flakes in the position that you want, use your fingertips to press the flakes down into the clay.
Repeat with other sizes of Bitsy Earring Posts. On the Drop and Triangle Shapes, use a toothpick to press the Crystal Clay up into the crevices.
Once all the Bitsy Earring Bezels are filled and flush to the edge of the Bitsy Bezel, use a wet-wipe to clean away any excess clay from the sidewalls of the bezel.
Create a flat surface where the posts of the earrings can poke through and be level. I used a piece of packaging to create this surface.
Read the resin instructions for safety concerns regarding the Nunn Design Resin.
When I work with resin, I always:
- Place a large plastic bag over my work surface and tape it down.
- I make sure I have ventilation in my workroom.
- I wear gloves.
- I wear glasses (readers because I can’t see anymore. Plus it protects my eyes!).
- I have a pile of wet wipes handy.
- This is a great blog post that covers 20 Habits for Successfully Using Nunn Design 2-Part Epoxy Resin. Even if you are a seasoned resin mixer, this might be worth a read.
- You can also watch this great video on How to Mix Nunn Design Resin!
Place one cup (included in the Nunn Design Resin Kit) onto your table.
For curing purposes, it is very important that the resin be an exact 1 to 1 ratio of Part A and Part B. I suggest getting your eyes level with the resin so you can see the lines on the measuring cup.
Pour Part A of your resin kit up to the ½ fluid ounce mark on your measuring cup.
Pour Part B of your resin kit into the same cup until it is filled to the 1 fluid ounce mark. It is important to pour Part A first and then Part B. It is some chemical thing about the part A being heavier or something.
Set your timer for 2 minutes. Using the stir stick from your kit (a popsicle stick or coffee stir stick will work great too), slowly and carefully stir your resin scraping the sides as you stir. Stir for the full 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, scrape both sides of your stir stick on the edge of your resin filled cup.
Using a toothpick, drizzle a small amount of the mixed resin over the Crystal Clay and gold flakes until the surface is covered. To create a high dome of resin, continue to drizzle additional resin.
Let the resin cure for 12 hours. If you had any over pour of resin that is stuck to the sides of the bezel, use a pair of needle nose pliers to gentle remove the resin. When the resin is 12 hours into the curing process it is still not fully cured, but this soft cure state makes it really easy to remove the excess resin from the bezel.
Let pieces cure for the full curing cycle of up to 72 hours.
Add on butterfly clutches and have fun sporting your new Bitsy Earrings with Gold Flakes and Resin!
Download PDF Tutorial: Make These Bitsy Earrings with Gold Mica Flakes PDF
This week we are sharing three tutorials and their Buy & Try programs using Bitsy Earrings, one with colorized resin, one with crystal clay, mica flakes and resin, and the last one glitter roxs and resin! Check back for the others!
- Bitsy Earrings with Colorized Nunn Design Resin Tutorial
- Bitsy Earrings with Nunn Design Resin and Glitter Roxs Tutorial
Here is a tutorial video of the process!
Shop Supplies RETAIL:
Explore purchasing the Buy & Try Bitsy Earring Posts and the supplies to create the three techniques being featured this week.
The tutorial for this one is on the way, but the items are live and available to purchase from now!
Shop Supplies WHOLESALE:
- Buy & Try Bitsy Earring Posts with Mica Flakes & Resin!
- Buy & Try Bitsy Earrings with Colorized Resin!
- Buy & Try Bitsy Earrings with Glitter Roxs
What is the Buy & Try Program?
Nunn Design offers a Buy & Try Program to encourage jewelry makers; both wholesale and retail, to buy the products needed to try something new.
This week we are featuring the different techniques that you can create with the Bitsy Earring Posts. Be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring! Enjoy!
For Wholesalers: How the Wholesale Buy & Try Program works:
- Minimum wholesale quantities for “Buy & Try” items are waived, allowing you to receive the lowest tiered price possible.
- No need to purchase a wholesale minimum order of $100.00 on “Buy & Try” items. You can add these items to your cart and check out with just the items you will need for a day of creating!
- “Buy & Try” items cannot be combined with other wholesale products. Sorry it may be a bit confusing, so email Cheryl at Cheryl@nunndesign.com if you have any questions.
- The Buy & Try Bitsy Earring Post offer expires May 4th at midnight. Orders will ship on or before May 7th,
- After May 4th:
- Buy & Try items will stay up for purchase however you will be required to purchase full bulk packs of findings and you may combine these items with regular wholesale items.
- $100 Minimum order back in effect.
You may also like to read:
- Make This Organic Tag with Crystal Charm Bracelet. Free Tutorial & Video! Kit $18.00!
- Make This Organic Tag With Crystal Charm Necklace. Free Tutorial & Video! Kit $15.00!
- Citrine Point Earrings Video + New Kits by Fusionbeads.com
- July in Review! Get Ready for the Next No Minimum Monday, August 6, 2018!
Welcome to the Nunn Design® Notebook — an online creative space devoted to all that inspires. Here, you’ll discover everything from our latest project videos and Make This how-to guides, to beautiful creations by fellow artisans. Stay current with new product announcements, contests, give-aways, and special discounts. Or learn business tips, tricks, and tools of the trade. Whatever your passion, we hope to help kindle your inspiration, nurture your muse, and unleash your creativity.
All rights reserved © Nunn Design 2017
Would you like to subscribe to our blog? Read 10 reasons why!
Search the Blog
- Adorned Life (17)
- Artisan Spotlight (85)
- Be Inspired (378)
- Becky's Business Tips (6)
- Buy & Try (85)
- Cheatsheets (7)
- Etsy (10)
- Flash Sales (55)
- Getting to know Becky (56)
- Giveaways (110)
- In The Press (59)
- Innovation Team (40)
- Inside Nunn Design (283)
- Kits (27)
- ND Product Info (10)
- Nunn Design Art Retreats (7)
- On My Table (10)
- Product Releases (103)
- Team Nunn (19)
- Tutorials (226)
Buy & Try Products
It is always exciting to see new techniques and projects, but sometimes it takes forever to gather the supplies for that afternoon of creating. The Buy & Try Program allows you to be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring. “Buy & Try” offers may contain items that we don’t typically have in stock! Purchase the “Buy & Try” products either a la-carte, or in a combo pack.
Click on the images below to visit the tutorials and shop the supplies.