Make These Earring Post Bar Earrings with Colorized Resin – Tutorial! Buy & Try
Although the Nunn Design Bar Earrings are a great contemporary stand-alone pair of post earring, adding colorized Nunn Design Resin to the surface can really jazz them up. There is an endless number of color combinations that you can create using the Nunn Design Resin Kit and Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments.
Here is a tutorial walking you through how to create this duo-tone effect with colorized resin. This is 5 of 6 tutorials featured in our Nunn Design Buy & Try featuring Earring Post Bars in Large and Small as well as our Hammered Bitsy Rings. This Buy & Try is available to registered Nunn Design wholesale customers for a limited amount of time. To jewelry makers that are not purchasing wholesale, this Buy & Try is available retail on our website.
Here are additional blog links for more Nunn Design Buy & Try tutorials featuring the Earring Post Bars in Large and Small as well as the Bitsy Rings:
- Make These Earring Post Bar Earrings with Colorized Resin and Pearl Ex Powders
- Make These Hammered Bitsy Rings with Colorized Resin and PearlEx Powders
Featuring The 2018 Fall Collection:
The Nunn Design Bar Earrings and Bitsy Rings are all part of the 2018 Fall Collection. To see the full line of products released, download our catalogue.
Nunn Design Bar Earrings Small and Large are 20-gauge solid brass. The Small Bar is 3mm wide and 19mm in length and the Large Bar is 3mm wide and 38mm in length. A surgical steel post is soldered onto the back with lead-free solder. A sleeve is applied over the surgical steel post and then plated with nickel-free 24k gold and .999 fine silver. A final phase of oxidization is applied to provide an aged look to the plating. This product is made in the USA.
Here is a tutorial walking you through how to create this look using the bar earrings!
Nunn Design Supplies Needed:
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Large and Small
- Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
- Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments
- Stir Sticks
- Mixing Cups
- Business Cards or glossy card stock
- Rubbing Alcohol Plastic Bags
- Needle Nose Pliers
The Nunn Design Findings are oxidized to provide the aged look to the precious metal plating. The oxidization, when it comes into contact with the resin, could change the color of the resin. To avoid this, clean the findings thoroughly prior to application of the resin. Get the tip of a Q-Tip wet with rubbing alcohol and clean away any of the blackened oxidization.
Create a flat surface where the posts of the earrings can poke through and be level. I used a piece of packaging to create this surface.
Read the resin instructions for safety concerns regarding the Nunn Design Resin.
When I work with resin, I always:
- Place a large plastic bag over my work surface and tape it down.
- I make sure I have ventilation in my workroom.
- I wear gloves.
- I wear glasses (readers because I can’t see anymore. Plus it protects my eyes!).
- I have a pile of wet wipes handy.
- This is a great blog post that covers 20 Habits for Successfully Using Nunn Design 2-Part Epoxy Resin. Even if you are a seasoned resin mixer, this might be worth a read.
You can also watch this great video on How to Mix Nunn Design Resin!
Place one cup (included in the Nunn Design Resin Kit) onto your table.
For curing purposes, it is very important that the resin be an exact 1 to 1 ratio of Part A and Part B. I suggest getting your eyes level with the resin so you can see the lines on the measuring cup.
Pour Part A of your resin kit up to the ½ fluid ounce mark on your measuring cup.
Pour Part B of your resin kit into the same cup until it is filled to the 1 fluid ounce mark. It is important to pour Part A first and then Part B. It is some chemical thing about the part A being heavier or something.
Set your timer for 2 minutes. Using the stir stick from your kit (a Popsicle stick or coffee stir stick will work great too), slowly and carefully stir your resin, scraping the sides as you stir. Stir for the full 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, scrape both sides of your stir stick on the edge of your resin filled cup.
To colorize the resin, pour the clear mixed resin into a separate mixing cup up to the 1 tsp. mark line.
Squeeze a little of the Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments onto a plastic bag. To prevent your Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments from being contaminated with mixed resin, you will want to use a fresh toothpick with each “toothpick tip” worth. I cut my toothpicks in half so I could easily use both ends.
We’ve made the creative process easier with color formulas for mixing Nunn Design Resin with Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments.
- You may benefit from a color formula cheat sheet here: 20 Formulas for Colorizing Nunn Design Resin.
- To learn even more, you could watch this video on How to Colorize Nunn Design Resin with Pigments.
- TIP: The Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments are very potent. When adding Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments to Nunn Design Resin, the pigment color amount cannot be greater than 10% of the resin. If it is, it will affect the resin’s ability to cure properly.
For this tutorial, I used these two color formulas:
Pantone 13-1404 TPX Formula:
- 1 tsp Nunn Design Resin
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Red
- 8 toothpicks tips White
- 5 toothpicks tips Brown
Pantone 14-5706 TPX Formula:
- 1 tsp Nunn Design Resin
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Blue
- 1 toothpick tip Yellow
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Yellow
- 4 toothpick tips White
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Black
Let’s define what a “tiny toothpick tip” and a “toothpick tip” amount of colorant should look like. This is not an exact science. If you don’t get the exact amount, your color will still come out fairly close.
A “tiny toothpick tip” should look like the red one in this image. A “toothpick tip” should look like the white.
Add the required amount of Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigment to the mixed resin. Once all the colorants are added, stir thoroughly until mixed. If the color is slightly off, you can continue to add colorants until you have the desired effect.
Drizzle the first color of your colorized resin onto the Earring Post Bar slowly and carefully with a toothpick. Since the width of the bars are so small and thin in size, it is really easy to overflow, so go slowly.
Wait about ½ hour before applying the second color of resin. Both of the colorized resin mixtures will have had time to “set-up” a wee bit and should be slightly thick in consistency. The thickness will prevent the resins from bleeding together when they come in contact with one another.
Use a toothpick to apply the second color of resin onto your Earring Post Bars.
Another fun technique is to create strips of colorized resin. To do this technique, wait until the resin is getting thick. This will cause the resin to be fairly stringy. Roll some of the thickened resin onto a toothpick and test to see if the resin is stringy. Drizzle the strings of colorized resin across the Earring Post Bars creating the effect that you desire.
Let the resin cure for 12 hours. You will need to “babysit” your curing resin.
TIP: Use your hot breath to “huff” on any bubbles forming in the resin. Your hot breath will make the bubbles expand and pop.
If you had any over pour of resin that is stuck to the sides of the bars, use a pair of needle nose pliers to gentle remove the resin. When the resin is 12 hours into the curing process it is still not fully cured, but this soft cure state makes it really easy to remove the excess resin from the earrings.
Let pieces cure for the full curing cycle of up to 72 hours.
Add on butterfly clutches.
Download PDF Tutorial: Make These Earring Post Bar Earring with Colorized Resin (PDF)
Shop Supplies RETAIL:
You can explore this technique with our Buy & Try Earring Post Bar Large and Small with Colorized Resin.
Shop Supplies WHOLESALE:
- Shop Wholesale Buy & Try Earring Post Bar Large and Small with Colorized Resin
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Large (epbl)
- Nunn Design Earring Post Bar Small (epbs)
- Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments
- Nunn Design Resin Kit (reskit)
What is the Buy & Try Program?
Nunn Design offers a Buy & Try Program to encourage jewelry makers; both wholesale and retail, to buy the products needed to try something new.
This week we are featuring the different techniques that you can create with the Bar Earring Large and Small, as well as the Hammered Bitsy Rings. Be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring! Enjoy!
How the Wholesale Buy & Try Program works:
- Minimum wholesale quantities for “Buy & Try” items are waived, allowing you to receive the lowest tiered price possible.
- No need to purchase a wholesale minimum order of $100.00 on “Buy & Try” items. You can add these items to your cart and check out with just the items you will need for a day of creating!
- “Buy & Try” items cannot be combined with other wholesale products. Sorry it may be a bit confusing, so email Cheryl at Cheryl@nunndesign.com if you have any questions.
- The Buy & Try offer expires November 5th at midnight. Orders will ship on or before November 5th.
- Buy & Try items will stay up for purchase however you will be required to purchase full bulk packs of findings and you may combine these items with regular wholesale items.
$100 Minimum order back in effect.
Here is the same technique, but in the Bitsy Earrings. You can shop the supplies for this look here!
If you enjoyed reading this post,
please subscribe to our blog.
Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe
and a place to do so!
You may also like to read:
- 2019 Nunn Design Spring Semester Class #4: Colorized Resin with Transfer Sheets
- 2019 Nunn Design Spring Semester Class #3: Crystal Clay, Skeleton Leaves and Nunn Design Resin
- 2019 Nunn Design Spring Semester Class 2. Colorized Resin with PearlEx Powders and Organics
- 2019 Nunn Design Spring Semester Launches Today with 3 New Tutorials!
Welcome to the Nunn Design® Notebook — an online creative space devoted to all that inspires. Here, you’ll discover everything from our latest project videos and Make This how-to guides, to beautiful creations by fellow artisans. Stay current with new product announcements, contests, give-aways, and special discounts. Or learn business tips, tricks, and tools of the trade. Whatever your passion, we hope to help kindle your inspiration, nurture your muse, and unleash your creativity.
All rights reserved © Nunn Design 2017
Art Retreat Schedule:
Would you like to subscribe to our blog? Read 10 reasons why!
Search the Blog
- Adorned Life (17)
- Artisan Spotlight (149)
- Be Inspired (407)
- Buy & Try (100)
- Flash Sales (62)
- Getting to know Becky (82)
- Giveaways (109)
- In The Press (60)
- Inside Nunn Design (315)
- Kits (37)
- ND Product Info (126)
- Tutorials (281)
Buy & Try Products
It is always exciting to see new techniques and projects, but sometimes it takes forever to gather the supplies for that afternoon of creating. The Buy & Try Program allows you to be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring. “Buy & Try” offers may contain items that we don’t typically have in stock! Purchase the “Buy & Try” products either a la-carte, or in a combo pack.
Click on the images below to visit the tutorials and shop the supplies.