There is an endless amount of colors that can be created using the Nunn Design Resin Kit and Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments. With so many colors and several fun shapes, the stacking possibilities are endless!
Here is a tutorial walking you through how to create colorized stacking Bitsy Rings. This is the last of 6 tutorials featured in our Nunn Design Buy & Try featuring Earring Post Bars in Large and Small as well as our Hammered Bitsy Rings. This Buy & Try is available to registered Nunn Design wholesale customers for a limited amount of time. To jewelry makers that are not purchasing wholesale, this Buy & Try is available retail on our website.
Here are other blog links of other Nunn Design Buy & Try tutorials featuring the Earring Post Bars in Large and Small as well as the Bitsy Rings:
- Make These Earring Post Bar Large and Small with Colorized Resin and Pearl Ex Powders
- Make These Hammered Bitsy Rings with Colorized Resin and PearlEx Powders
- Make These Earring Post Bar Large and Small with Crystal Clay & Gilding Flakes
- Make These Hammered Bitsy Rings with Crystal Clay & Gilding Flakes
- Make These Earring Post Bar Large and Small with Colorized Resin
Featuring The 2018 Fall Collection:
The Nunn Design Bar Earrings and Bitsy Rings are all part of the 2018 Fall Collection. To see the full line of products released, download our catalogue.
To manufacture Hammered Bitsy Rings, a brass bezel is soldered, with lead-free solder, onto a brass ring shank. We then plate the rings with 24k gold and .999 fine silver. A final touch of oxidization is applied to provide an aged look to the precious metal. All of this product is made in the USA
Nunn Design Supplies Needed:
- Nunn Design
- Hammered Bitsy Rings
- Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
- Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments
- Stir Sticks
- Mixing Cups
- Business Cards or glossy card stock
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Plastic Bags
- Needle Nose Pliers
The Nunn Design Findings are oxidized to provide the aged look to the precious metal plating. The oxidization, when it comes into contact with the resin, could change the color of the resin. To avoid this, clean the findings thoroughly prior to application of the resin. Get the tip of a Q-Tip wet with rubbing alcohol and clean away any of the blackened oxidization.
Before you mix your resin, create a level surface for the Hammered Bitsy Rings. I used the gap between two wooden blocks for the ring shanks to rest while the resin was curing. Cover the blocks with a clear packing tape. The tape will allow the rings to easily be removed from the wood if there is any overflow of resin. Since these Hammered Bitsy Rings are so bitsy, you can expect to have some overflow now and then.
Read the resin instructions for safety concerns regarding the Nunn Design Resin.
When I work with resin, I always:
- Place a large plastic bag over my work surface and tape it down.
- I make sure I have ventilation in my workroom.
- I wear gloves.
- I wear glasses (readers because I can’t see anymore. Plus it protects my eyes!).
- I have a pile of wet wipes handy.
- This is a great blog post that covers 20 Habits for Successfully Using Nunn Design 2-Part Epoxy Resin. Even if you are a seasoned resin mixer, this might be worth a read.
You can also watch this great video on How to Mix Nunn Design Resin!
Place one cup (included in the Nunn Design Resin Kit) onto your table.
For curing purposes, it is very important that the resin be an exact 1 to 1 ratio of Part A and Part B. I suggest getting your eyes level with the resin so you can see the lines on the measuring cup.
Pour Part A of your resin kit up to the ½ fluid ounce mark on your measuring cup.
Pour Part B of your resin kit into the same cup until it is filled to the 1 fluid ounce mark. It is important to pour Part A first and then Part B. It is some chemical thing about the part A being heavier or something.
Set your timer for 2 minutes. Using the stir stick from your kit (a popsicle stick or coffee stir stick will work great too), slowly and carefully stir your resin scraping the sides as you stir. Stir for a minimum of 2 minutes. If your resin is still cloudy continue to mix until clear.
After mixing is complete and your resin is clear, scrape both sides of your stir stick on the edge of your resin filled cup.
To colorize the resin, pour the clear mixed resin into a separate mixing cup up to the 1 tsp. mark line.
Squeeze a little of the Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments onto a plastic bag. To prevent your Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments from being contaminated with mixed resin, you will want to use a fresh toothpick with each “toothpick tip” worth. I cut my toothpicks in half so I can easily use both ends.
We’ve made the creative process easier with color formulas for mixing Nunn Design Resin with Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments.
- You may benefit from a color formula cheat sheet here: 20 Formulas for Colorizing Nunn Design Resin.
- To learn even more, you could watch this video on How to Colorize Nunn Design Resin with Pigments.
- TIP: The Castin’ Craft Opaque Pigments are very potent. When adding Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments to Nunn Design Resin, the pigment color amount cannot be greater than 10% of the resin. If it is, it will affect the resin’s ability to cure properly.
For this tutorial, I used the following two color formulas:
Pantone 13-1404 TPX
- 1 tsp Nunn Design Resin
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Red
- 8 toothpicks tips White
- 5 toothpicks tips Brown
Pantone 14-5706 TPX Formula:
- 1 tsp Nunn Design Resin
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Blue
- 1 toothpick tip Yellow
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Yellow
- 4 toothpick tips White
- 1 tiny toothpick tip Black
Let’s define what a “tiny toothpick tip” and a “toothpick tip” amount of colorant should look like. This is not an exact science. If you don’t get the exact amount, your color will still come out fairly close.
A “tiny toothpick tip” should look like the red one in this image. A “toothpick tip” should look like the white.
Add the required amount of Casin’ Crafts Opaque Pigment to the mixed resin.
Drizzle a tiny tiny amount of colorized resin into the bezels of the Hammered Ring Bitsy with a toothpick. Since they are so tiny it is really easy to overflow. Go slowly and continue to add more to create a high dome effect.
TIP: For the triangle shaped bezels, it will be challenging for the resin to naturally flow into the corners. Use your toothpick to drag the resin as shown in these photos.
Let the resin cure for 12 hours. You will need to “babysit” your curing resin.
TIP: Use your hot breath to “huff” on bubbles forming in the resin. Your hot breath will make the bubbles expand and pop.
If you had any over pour of resin that is stuck to the sides of the rings, use a pair of needle nose pliers to gentle remove the resin. When the resin is 12 hours into the curing process it is still not fully cured, but this soft cure state makes it really easy to remove the excess resin from the ring.
Let pieces cure for the full curing cycle of up to 72 hours.
Download PDF Tutorial: Make These Hammered Bitsy Rings with Colorized Resin (PDF)
Shop Supplies RETAIL:
You can explore this technique with our Buy & Try Hammered Bitsy Rings with Colorized Resin.
Shop Supplies WHOLESALE:
- Shop Wholesale Buy & Try Hammered Bitsy Rings with Colorized Resin
- Nunn Design Hammered Bitsy Rings
- Castin’ Crafts Opaque Pigments
- Nunn Design Resin Kit (reskit)
What is the Buy & Try Program?
Nunn Design offers a Buy & Try Program to encourage jewelry makers; both wholesale and retail, to buy the products needed to try something new.
This week we are featuring the different techniques that you can create with the Bar Earring Large and Small, as well as the Hammered Bitsy Rings. Be inspired and purchase just the items needed to explore the technique we are featuring! Enjoy!
How the Wholesale Buy & Try Program works:
- Minimum wholesale quantities for “Buy & Try” items are waived, allowing you to receive the lowest tiered price possible.
- No need to purchase a wholesale minimum order of $100.00 on “Buy & Try” items. You can add these items to your cart and check out with just the items you will need for a day of creating!
- “Buy & Try” items cannot be combined with other wholesale products. Sorry it may be a bit confusing, so email Cheryl at Cheryl@nunndesign.com if you have any questions.
- The Buy & Try offer expires November 5th at midnight. Orders will ship on or before November 5th.
- Buy & Try items will stay up for purchase however you will be required to purchase full bulk packs of findings and you may combine these items with regular wholesale items.
$100 Minimum order back in effect.
Same Technique in the Bitsy Earrings.
Here is the same technique, but in the Bitsy Earrings. You can shop the Bitsy Earring Findings to create this look here!
- Shop Wholesale Bitsy Earrings Colorized Resin Buy & Try
- Nunn Design Bitsy Earrings
If you enjoyed reading this post,
please subscribe to our blog.
Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe
and a place to do so!
If you enjoyed reading this post, please subscribe to our blog. Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe and a place to do so!