The Nunn Design Open Back Bezel Collection is one of our most popular trending bezel categories within our jewelry findings line. The diversity of the Open Back Bezels and the variety of techniques that can be used for creating has a large part to do with their success.
Another trend important for our jewelry designers is to offer a variety of different looks inside their collections. What one consumer might like, another might not. Creating a variety of styles within the same brand is the “spice of life” and the key to reaching a larger jewelry audience.
When I’m designing products for Nunn Design, I take the usage of the product into consideration. I want our customers to be able to create a variety of looks using the same style of bezels thus allowing them to utilize the same inventory that they have on hand by simply switching out the technique. This allows the jewelry artist to create jewelry that is uniquely theirs AND provide them with a variety of different looks.
Here are 20 ways in which you can use the Nunn Design Open Back Bezels to create unique handmade jewelry.
20 Ways to Create with Nunn Design Open Back Bezels
1. Resin with Glitter Roxs in Open Back Bezel Rings
Embedding Glitter Roxs into Resin within a Nunn Design Open Back Bezel is all the rage. Especially with these rings!
- Read the Tutorial: Create Resin Filled Open Back Bezel Rings Tutorial
2. Clear Resin with PearlEx Mica Powders within an Open Back Wire Frame
Although this technique looks complicated, once you get the basics down, it can be done fairly quickly allowing for quick production.
- Read the Tutorial: Creating Resin Filled Pendants with Wire Frames
- Download the Cheat Sheet: Create Resin Filled Pendants PDF
- Watch the Video: Artbeads Mini Tutorial – How to Make Wire Frame Resin Pendants with Becky Nunn
3. Colorizing and Drilling Resin within an Open Back Bezel
Colorizing resin is ideal for production jewelry. No paper or photographs to cure. Just mix up your colors and pour!
- Read the Tutorial: DIY Rainbow Jewelry
You might also be interested in all of these fun color formulas for colorizing resin!
- Read the Tutorial: 20 Formulas for Colorizing Nunn Design Resin
4. Clear Resin with Organics within Open Back Bezels
I’m totally smitten over organics in resin. This has been a VERY popular trend for our customers!
- Read the Tutorial: How to Use Open Back Bezels with Nunn Design 2 Part Resin
- Watch the Video: How to Embed Organics into Resin with Becky Nunn
- Watch Another Video: How to Incorporate Organic Matter into 2-Part Resin
This blog post talks more about how to preserve the organics. I harvest these mushrooms from…ah, I’d rather not say. You’ll have to read the post!
- Read the Tutorial: Preserving Organics for Resin Jewelry
5. Colorizing Resin and Embedding Organics within an Open Back Bezel
This technique requires 2 pours. The first layer of resin is colorized and poured into the open backs to cure. Then once cured, the organics are applied and another level of resin. Beautiful look!
- Read the Tutorial: Colorizing Resin in an Open Back Bezel with Organics
- Download the PDF: Colorizing Resin in an Open Bezel with Organics PDF
6. Colorizing Resin with Brass Stamping within an Open Back Bezel
Colorize the resin, let cure, embed a brass stamping, and add more clear resin. Several steps, but totally doable for the beginner as well as the advanced resin user.
- Read the Tutorial: How to Fill Open Frame Pendants with Colorized Resin and Brass Stampings Tutorial
- Watch the Video: How to Fill Open Frame Pendants with Colorized Resin and Metal Stampings by Becky Nunn
Here is another tutorial on the same technique!
- Read the Tutorial: Colorized Resin in an Open Back with Brass Stampings
- Download the PDF: Colorized Resin in an Open Back with Brass Stampings PDF
7. Sculpted Relief Resin within an Open Back Bezel
This looks complicated, but you will be surprised at how it isn’t!
- Read the Tutorial: Sculpted Relief Resin Mold within an Open Bezel
- Watch the Video: Artbeads Mini Tutorial – How to Create Sculptured Relief in Bezel Frames with Becky Nunn
Here is the same Sculpted Relief Resin technique, but with a layer of resin applied onto the surface of the relief. A totally different look!
8. Texturized Resin within an Open Back Bezel
Have excess resin just about to go hard in your cup? This tutorial is for you! Use every last drop!
- Read the Tutorial: Texturized Resin Tutorial: Part 2
- Download the PDF: How To Texturize Resin with Clay Squishers
9. Create Colorized Resin Mosaics within Open Back Bezels
Here is another technique to use up that excess resin before it goes hard!
- Read the Tutorial: Create Colorized Resin Mosaics with Excess Resin Tutorials
- Download the PDF: How to Create Colorized Resin Mosaics with Excess Resin PDF
10. Colorized Resin with PearlEx Mica Powders within an Open Back Hoop Bezels
A couple splashes of PearlEx Mica Powders placed into curing resin creates a unique effect.
- Read the Tutorial: Colorized Resin in Open Hoops with Mica Powders and Flakes
- Download the PDF: How to Colorize Resin in Open Hoops with Mica Powders and Flakes PDF
11. Clear Resin with Transfer Sheets within an Open Back Bezel
Creating with transfer sheets in a solid back bezels requires that you design some contrast in order to see the image. With Open Back Bezels, you don’t need to worry about that.
- Read the Tutorial: Create these Earrings with Open Drop Pendants, Tree Transfer Sheets & Resin
- Download the PDF: Resin Tree Drop Earrings
12. Colorizing Resin with Transfer Sheets within an Open Back Bezel
Same technique as with organics or brass stampings, but this time we have applied a transfer sheet.
- Read the Tutorial: Colorized Resin in an Open Back Bezel with Transfer Sheets
- Download the PDF: How to Colorize Resin in an Open Back Bezel with Transfer Sheets
13. Creating Jewelry with Candy Wrappers and Resin within Open Back Hoops
This tutorial I actually did with my teenage daughter, Emillia. She was making her jewelry for her wearable art show dress using found candy wrappers and resin.
- Read the Tutorial: Create Jewelry with Candy Wrappers, Open Hoops and Resin
- Download the PDF: How to Create Jewelry with Candy Wrappers, Open Hoops and Resin
14. Color Blocking with Colorized Resin within an Open Back Bezel
Create an open center or color block with an additional colorized resin. Both looks are great!
- Read the Tutorial: How to Color Block with 2-Part Resin Tutorial
- Watch the Video: How to Color Block with Resin by Becky Nunn
- Read the Tutorial: Open Frames with Colorized Resin Tutorial
- Download the Cheatsheet: Open Frame Bezels with Colorized Resin
15. Colorized Resin with Mica Flakes within Open Back Bezels
Alright, I fudged a little here (I really wanted 20 projects so I squeezed this one in!!). I don’t actually have a full tutorial for this, but this tutorial will give you the basic idea.
- Read the sort-of-will-work Tutorial: Colorized Resin with Glitter Roxs Tutorial
16. Polymer Clay and UV Resin in Open Back Bezel Bezels
Christi Friesen created this great tutorial with Nunn Design using Polymer Clay within Nunn Design Open Back Bezels and UV Resin.
- Read the Tutorial: Tiny Tidepool Tutorial by Christi Friesen
Here is some more inspiration by Christi Friesen using the Polymer Clay and UV Resin technique.
17. Crystal Clay, Brass Stampings and Resin within an Open Back Bezel
In this tutorial, learn how to create a shadow box effect using Crystal Clay, brass stampings and resin.
- Read the Tutorial: How to Create a Shadow Box Pendant Tutorial
- Watch the Video: How to Create a Shadow Box Pendant with Nunn Design Resin
18. Crystal Clay, Transfer Sheets and Resin within an Open Back Bezel
The beauty of this technique is the speed. You can apply the resin over the top of the curing clay.
- Read the Tutorial: Handcrafted Pendant Tutorial – Using Crystal Clay, PearlEx Powders and Colorized Resin
- Download the PDF: Make a Handcrafted Pendant: Crystal Clay, PearlEx Powders and Colorized Resin
19. Faux Porcelain with Colorized Resin within an Open Back Bezel
Although these tutorials show this technique being done in a traditional bezel with a back, the process is still the same. Make sure to watch my video about finishing the exposed open backsides off using Crystal Clay.
- Read the Tutorial Part 1: Make These Sculpted Relief Epoxy Clay and Resin Pendants
- Read the Tutorial Part 2: Create Faux Porcelain Pendants
- Watch a Video:
20. Open Frame Hoops with Deerskin Lace
Well, thanks for hanging in there! Ending with a technique that involves a super boho look using Open Frame Hoops and punching and stitching Deerskin Lace.
- Read the Tutorial: Make this Open Frame Boho Hoop Necklace
- Download the Cheat Sheet: Make this Open Frame Boho Necklace with Connectors
What Do You Think?
What do you guys think? Do you have a favorite? Are you inspired to expand your jewelry collection to incorporate a larger variety of looks within your brand? You might want to experiment and test out the results with your customers. See what works and what sells for you. It is all within a day of the life of a creative jewelry maker! Enjoy creating.
Shop the Supplies Wholesale!
- Open Back Bezel Collection
- Brass Stampings
- PearlEx Mica Powders
- Nunn Design Sealant
- Crystal Clay
- Nunn Design 2-Part Resin Kit
- Transfer Sheets
- Castin Craft Colorants
- Silicone Molding Putty
- Clay Squishers
Shop Nunn Design Wholesale
Nunn Design has been supplying jewelry artists with findings for over 20 years. Shop wholesale jewelry findings for creative jewelry makers.Shop Nunn Design!
How to Purchase Wholesale?
If you are interested in becoming one of the many designers who trust their jewelry to Nunn Design Findings, please join us by registering to become one of our wholesale customers!
Please visit our Where to Buy Page for a listing of online stores that sell Nunn Design Findings retail.
If you enjoyed reading this post, please subscribe to our blog. Here are 10 Reasons Why to Subscribe and a place to do so!